Information for Online Campus Incoming Freshman
Important Information and Quick Links only for ONLINE CAMPUS INCOMING FRESHMAN
Please read this page before emailing or calling the Math Department. Email is the preferred form of contact so students can get information in writing. You will be expected to read through this information before contacting us.
Most UA Online Campus students will take PHIL 110, Math 100AX, Math 100, Math 112, Math 116, or SBS 200 to satisfy the foundation math requirement. Some other courses may be available. PHIL 110 does not have a math placement test requirement, but only applies to certain majors. Please verify your requirement through your academic advisor.
All incoming freshman students should take the Math Placement Test before your advising appointment. Test scores are good for one year. Please test. Incoming students get one attempt at one test (assessment) through the Next Steps Center. Additional tests are proctored through Examity (see Retesting). There are two tests and students need determine which test to take.
- Testing Information- Get ready before you test:
- You can review for the Placement test
- Your score will be available through the Next Steps Center within 24 hours of testing, along with a message about your placement.
- You can retest.
- What score do I need to qualify for my UA Math course?
- Do you have a transfer math course or other Math Credits? You should still test. Contact the Math Placement Office or talk to your academic advisor regarding any college math credits AFTER you test.
- Arizona courses- College Algebra, Business Calculus, Calculus, and other courses are pretty standard across Arizona Universities (ASU, UA, NAU) and Community Colleges (excludes GCU). In general, these courses automatically transfer.
- Out-of-state courses require an evaluation. You will be asked to provide links to the math course descriptions for your transfer institution. A syllabus is required for online transfer math courses.
- Do you have Credit by Exam (AP, IB, CLEP, Cambridge?)
CALG, PCLG, MCLG
|Math Dept Approved Prerequisite or
(taken within last 18 months)
(0-24 through summer 2017)
|Many students take a review course like Math 100AX before taking Math 100 and Math 112.||n/a NOTE: Student who do not test but want to take this course should contact the Math Placement Office.|
(25-50 through summer 2017)
|Many students take a review course like Math 100 before taking Math 112.||n/a|
(45-100% through summer 2017)
|Entry is through placement test only||Students who take Math 100 must place into Math 112 through the final exam to be eligible.|
MCB 181L/R PHYS 102
|Student can qualify with a Math 112 course.||Students who take Math 100 must place into MCB 181L/R, PHYS 102 to be eligible.|
|MATH 116||88-100%||65-100%||Most students first take Math 112. However, if MATH 116 is required and you place into it, you can skip Math 112.||Math 112 or higher level algebra based courses like Math 120R AND MIS 111. If you have not yet completed MIS 111 and qualify for Math 116 otherwise, please contact the Math Placement Office.|
|SBS 200||88-100%||65-100%||Most students first take Math 112. However, if SBS 200 is required and you place into it, you can skip Math 112.||Math 112 or higher level algebra based courses like Math 120R, 113, 122B, etc.|
|PHIL 110||n/a||n/a||Make sure this is the right course before enrolling||
PHIL 110 is not a prerequisite to any courses that require a math prerequisite, incluing Math 100, 112, 116, or SBS 200.
About the UA ALEKS Online Math Placement Test
Incoming students take their first attempt at the Math Placement Test through the Next Steps Center. Note that the Next Steps Center is generally available through the first week of your first semester.
Students are to take this test without the assistance of any persons, textbooks, online materials, or any other assistance, as if it is a proctored test. The only calculator allowed is the built-in calculator provided with the ALEKS program, and other calculators are not allowed. Any violation of this will be considered cheating and a violation of the UA Code of Conduct. There are can be serious consequences to artificially high placement testing scores. It is important to make an honest attempt at the test. Once you complete the test, your score is final regardless of any technical difficulties you may encounter during the exam.
The UA ALEKS Online Math Placement Test is not a timed test. However, ALEKS is not accessible with screen reading technology. Please contact the Disability Resource Center at (520) 621-3268 or firstname.lastname@example.org with questions or concerns.
- What if I don't test? If you choose not to test, for whatever reason, the Math Placement portion of your Next Steps Center will show as incomplete. This will not prevent you from adding UA courses that do not rely on the Math Placement Test. If you later find that you need after the first day of your first semester, you will need to take a proctored test for a fee.
- You don't have to take the highest level math course that you place into. Many students opt to take a lower level course.
- Technical Difficulties with the Test: go to Next Steps Center "Print and Read before testing" document or check the Troubleshooting website.
- How do I Retest or take the "other" test? Note that "retest" means take a second test or test on or after the first day of classes. This cannot be done through the Next Steps Center. You can choose a different test than the one you originally picked. It must be a proctored test through one of our proctoring services.
College Math Credit
- Do you have college math credit?.
- If you have completed a college level Math course through a College or University outside of Arizona, please complete the Math Department online evaluation form at least two weeks prior to your registration date. You will receive the results of the evaluation via email.
Exam Score Credit Awarded
AP AB or AB subcores 3,4,5 Math 125, Calculus I, will substitute for Math 112 or 116. Prerequisite to SBS 200. BC 3 Math 125, Calculus I, will substitute for Math 112 or 116. Prerequisite to SBS 200. BC 4,5 Math 125 and 129 , Calculus I and II. Math 125, Calculus I, will substitute for Math 112 or 116. Prerequisite to SBS 200. Statistics 3 Math 163, Basic Statistics Satisfies SBS 200 Statistics 4,5 Math 263, Intro to Statistics and BioStatistics Satisfies SBS 200 CLEP Calculus with Elementary Functions 50 Math 125, Calculus I, will substitute for Math 112 or 116. Prerequisite to SBS 200. CLEP College Algebra 50 Math 112 Prerequisite to SBS 200. IB HL (no credit for SL) 5 Math 120R and 125. Math 125, Calculus I, will substitute for Math 112 or 116. Prerequisite to SBS 200.