The University of Arizona

The Math Advising Center FAQs

Below are some commonly asked questions. If you have a question that isn't answered below, feel free to contact the Math Center (for Math majors/minors) or the Academic Office (for questions about math placement, enrollment, and transfer credit).

Under Construction; please contact the Math Center with your questions


Why should I study Mathematics? How will majoring in Math help me?

What can I do with a degree in Mathematics?

What you should really be asking is, "What can't I do with a degree in Mathematics?"

Return to the top
What type of career or graduate school opportunities are there for math graduates?

Undergraduate training in mathematics is an important step along many career paths.

Return to the top
Can I get involved in research while an undergraduate math major? If so, then how?

There are many ways to get involved with research and internships. We highly encourage our undergraduates to pursue such opportunities. Our URAs, Undergraduate Research Assistants, may get paid or may earn credit while gaining valuable experience. Check out the URA program.

Return to the top
I want to teach math at a middle school or high school. How can I prepare for this?

Teaching math at the secondary level requires a significant amount of math background in order for the instructor to stay well ahead of their most advanced students.

One of the seven math major options is the Math Teacher Education option; you may pursue a B.A. or a B.S. Degree majoring in Mathematics with this option. The Secondary Mathematics Education Program website describes the requirements; please review this material prior to meeting with the Math Center Advisor. To add the Math Major, Math Teacher Education option, schedule an appointment.

Some students deciding to pursue math education later in their undergraduate programs may want to consider a graduate program such as Teach Arizona which will cover the requirements for Arizona State Certification while also conferring a Masters of Education in one year. Students applying to Teach Arizona are expected to have completed at least 24 units of course work in the subject area they wish to teach. See the website for more details.

Return to the top

What are the Math Major Program requirements?

Which math courses do I take?

You can view the math courses required for the Math Major. There are seven Math Options to select from: Comprehensive, Computer Science, Economics/Business, General/Applied, Life Sciences, Probability & Statistics, and Math Teacher Education. All math majors must complete the same core courses. The required remaining math courses correlate with the math option selected. A student may officially select only one math option, though students may choose to complete extra math courses not required for their selected option.

Return to the top
Are there course descriptions for the math courses?

You can view the math course descriptions from the Academic Catalog.  A list of prerequisites enforced by UAccess can be found on the math placement website.

Return to the top
What degree would I be pursuing?

You have a choice of pursuing a Bachelor of Science, B.S., or a Bachelor of Arts, B.A. Degree. It is important to know the differences between the two degrees.

Return to the top
What are the other requirements I need besides math courses?

All of the requirements are outlined within the Academic Program Requirement Report (APRR).

The APRR for the B.S. Degree, Mathematics Major has several components. See your advisor if you have questions about the APRR.

The APRR for the B.A. Degree, Mathematics Major has several components. See your advisor if you have questions about the APRR.

Note: Students are admitted to the UA for a particular catalog/academic year. Program requirements are subject to change. The APRR a student would follow depends on the catalog/academic year the student falls under.

Return to the top
Where can I find a simple guideline to help me understand the Gen Ed Tier I and Tier II requirements?

The General Education Structure will help you to make sense of the General Education requirements.

The Degree Program Structure gives you a birds-eye view of all the requirements within the Degree. Look this over. You'll be glad you did.

How do I declare the Math Major (or Minor)?

Return to the top

How do I declare the Math Major (or Minor)?

What is the difference between a "double major" and a "double degree?"

If you are thinking of adding the Math Major to your current program of study it is important to know the difference between a double major and a double degree.

Double Degree: The difference between a double degree and a double major is related to the degree title. Bachelor degrees at the UA have an exact title assigned to each one. For example, two common degree titles are the Bachelor of Science (B.S.) or the Bachelor of Arts (B.A.). If you choose to add a second major with a degree title that differs from your first major, you are in effect declaring a second degree. For example, if you are pursuing a B.S., Mathematics Major and you decide to also pursue a B.A., Economics Major, you must then follow the requirements for both degree programs. You would be pursuing a second or double degree.

Students earning a second Bachelor's degree must earn no fewer than 30 unique UA (in house) units in addition to all the requirements for the first degree. If the first degree requires 120 units, then to earn the second degree, you must have earned at least 30 additional UA unique units, to total a minimum of 150 units. Please refer to the UA policy on Second Bachelor's Degree.

"Unique UA-in house units" are units earned at the U of A which fulfill only one degree requirement. For example: units earned with Math 129 for students majoring in two degrees, one in Engineering and one in Mathematics, are not considered "unique" units because Math 129 would be a requirement for both degree programs.

**Important: the minor requirement for the math major can NOT be fulfilled by a major that is in a separate degree. Graduation Services will not process the degree without a minor in place. Talk to your major advisors about the best way to handle this requirement.

Double Major: If the degree title is the same for each major, then a student is pursuing a double major. In many cases, if earning a double major, then a student would not be required to declare a minor.

If a student were to declare a B.S., Mathematics Major, while pursuing a B.S. in Business Administration, would this student be a Double Major or a Double Degree? This student would be pursuing a double or second degree. The first degree title is a 'B.S.' (Bachelor of Science), whereas the second degree title is a 'B.S. in Business Administration' or 'B.S.B.A.'

Please also see our Double Degree vs. Double Major handout.

A double major or double degree can be declared through the major advisor in the respective major.

Return to the top
How do I declare a Math Major?

Schedule an appointment with the Math Center Academic Advisor in order to declare the Math Major. At your meeting you will be asked to fill out a form for our records. Prior to your advising appointment you are required to carefully read through these FAQs. By doing this, the advising session will be much more productive. The appointment will be in the Mathematics building, room 222.

If you have math courses earned from an out-of-state college and would like to have them evaluated as UA Math courses, YOU must initiate the evaluation process. You can do this by going to the Department of Mathematics on-line form - Request Math Course Equivalency Evaluation. Allow up to two weeks for a reply.

Return to the top
How do I declare a Math Minor? What are the requirements?

Please review the Math Minor requirements.

We recommend that you meet with or e-mail your current major advisor to have the Math minor added. Your current major advisor is authorized to do this per your request. Or, e-mail Math Center Advising requesting that you would like to add math as a minor. Please be sure to include your full name and your UA Identification (ID) number.

If you have math transfer courses from an out-of-state college and the Math Department has not evaluated the course work, YOU must initiate the evaluation process by going through the Department of Mathematics on-line evaluation form. Allow up to two weeks for a reply.

Return to the top
My GPA is BELOW a 2.00 and I'd like to change my major to Math. If I'm on academic probation (or my cumulative GPA is less than a 2.00) will I be admitted to the Math Major program?

It depends on a student's 'B Deficit.' B Deficit means how many units of B must be earned in order to bring the cumulative GPA up to 2.00 while earning no grade lower than a C. Typically, we do not admit students with less than a 2.00 cumulative GPA. If the B deficit is reasonably low, we may consider admitting the student. If admitted, then a Conditional Probation Academic Contract will be administered through the Math Advising Center. A student may be disqualified from the College of Science, Math Major, if the terms outlined on the contract are not adhered to. To calculate your B Deficit, go to the A/B Deficit Calculator.

Return to the top
I left the U of A while on academic probation and would like to be re-admitted. Do you think I will be allowed to be re-admitted?

Once a student has been disqualified or leaves while on academic probation, there are no guarantees of readmission by any academic unit at the U of A. The student may apply for consideration to return to the U of A only after earning a minimum of a 3.00 GPA with 24 academic, transferable units earned at another institution. The U of A readmission application will ask which College/Major is student applying to. Mathematics falls under the College of Science (CoS).

In summary, your first step is to earn 24 units with at least a 3.00 GPA. Only then, to be considered for readmission you will apply on-line to the U of A. The U of A/Office of Admissions will then ask the College (CoS) for its recommendation. The College (CoS) will send a letter to the student with detailed instructions to meet with the major advisor. Upon this meeting, it is the major advisor who will make a recommendation to the CoS whether or not the student should be admitted to the program. If admitted, the Math Major Advisor will state the admission terms on a Conditional Probation Academic Contract.

Return to the top
I won't have time to complete my math minor (or major) - how do I "un-declare" it?

We understand that this sometimes happens, and can easily remove a math minor or major for you via email - just send your request to

Note: If you wish to remove a math major, you will need to have another major in place. If math is your only major, you can request to have the major removed when you declare a new major; see the Advising Resource Center to find the contact information for your new major advisor. If you are interested in dropping your math major to a minor but are not sure what requirements you have left to complete, just ask the Math Center:

Return to the top

What should Transfer Students know when coming to the U of A?

I'm an in-state transfer student. What should I know and where do I begin?

Transfer students should consider taking the Pima Community College transfer strategy course, STU210, before coming to the U of A. This course is designed to teach success strategies in order to assimilate with ease to the U of A. Enrollment in STU210 allows you to register for U of A courses (once admitted) during the UA's Priority Registration period rather than having to wait until after the freshmen register. This is significant because you will be able to register along with all the other U of A students according to your classification, e.g., senior, junior, sophomore or freshman status.

As a part of the transfer process, all transfer students are required to meet with their UA Academic Advisor (in the selected major). The Academic Advisor will remove the student's advising hold, hence allowing the student to register during their assigned enrollment appointment.

Shortly after being admitted to the U of A you will receive a student ID and PIN (personal identification) number. In addition, you will be instructed to complete an online academic preview through your Next Steps Center. It is critical that you carefully read through the information provided within the preview, and you will not be assigned an enrollment appointment until after this has been completed. An immunization hold will also prevent registration for new transfer students; information about the immunization requirement can be found in your Next Steps Center. In order to have the immunization hold lifted, your immunization records must be received by U of A Campus Health.

Note: any holds that are applied to your record can be viewed in UAccess Student; check the box at the top right of your screen labeled "Notices and Holds", and click the Details link if any notices or holds are listed.

All new transfer students need to schedule their advising appointment with the Math Center Academic Advisor through the on-line scheduling system. There is garage parking available just South of the math building on Sixth Street.

Another on-line resource which in-state transfer students should reference is the Course Equivalency Guide. This easily identifies how transfer courses will equate to U of A courses.

Return to the top
I'm an out-of-state transfer student. How do I have my transfer courses applied to my U of A Math Major?

In order to have your math courses evaluated you must go through the Department of Mathematics on-line evaluation form. The turn-around time, in most cases, to receive feedback is within 2 weeks.

For information about non-math course work (Gen Eds, science courses, etc.), please ask your academic advisor for instructions. Math Majors can email for information.

The information regarding the online academic preview, advising hold and immunization hold in the above FAQ item also applies to out-of-state transfer students, so please read it thoroughly.

Return to the top

Which Registration Dates/Deadlines and U of A policies could impact me?

How do I drop a class?

It depends on when you are dropping it. Generally, if you want to drop a course before the 4th week of class, you can go onto Web Reg and drop it. The course will not show up on your record. If it is between the 4th and 8th week, you will need a Change of Schedule (aka Drop/Add) form and the instructor's signature. During this period, if you are passing the course, the grade "W" will be awarded. A grade of "W" has no effect on GPA. However, if you are failing the course and decide to drop it between the 4th and 8th weeks, then a grade of "E" may be awarded, which will impact your GPA. If it is past the 8th week, it is nearly impossible to drop a course; you will need to have the Dean's approval in addition to the instructor's signature, and that is only granted for students with extenuating circumstances.

Return to the top
What other dates and deadlines should I know about and where can I find this information?

By making yourself aware of critical deadline dates you're on the path to success. Remember, when in doubt, please check with your advisor. You can find registration dates and deadlines on the UA home page.

Return to the top
Can I take the course I failed over again and have the first grade replaced? I've heard students talk about GRO; what does that mean?

GRO stands for Grade Replacement Opportunity. Please read the information carefully and if you have questions about this policy then make sure to check in with your academic advisor for clarification. As with several U of A policies, make sure to know the deadline. There is a deadline for the GRO process.

Return to the top
What does it mean if I've been put on Academic Probation?

The U of A defines academic probation as not meeting the standards of normal progress. That standard is a 2.000 GPA overall. Students who have a cumulative GPA of less than a 2.000 are placed on academic probation. Please review the U of A policy on academic probation for more detailed information.

Return to the top
If I am already on Academic Probation, what could happen to me this semester if I don't do well?

There are three possible outcomes this semester for you, depending on your grades.

  1. You meet your B deficit and get off of academic probation.
  2. Your GPA this semester is above a 2.000, but your cumulative GPA remains below a 2.000. You will remain on academic probation, but will be allowed to continue taking courses at the U of A due to the progress that you are making to improve your GPA.
  3. This semester's GPA (and consequently, your cumulative GPA) is below a 2.000. You will be disqualified from the College of Science and very likely from the U of A.

Return to the top
How do I drop all of my classes for a semester?

As of Fall 2012, there is a new online process to withdraw from all classes for a given semester. Please read the important information at before submitting your withdrawal request.

Return to the top

I need help with academic planning. How do I make sure that I'm on track to graduate?

What classes should I take next semester?

See your advisor! Be proactive and beat the long lines and crowds by meeting with your advisor before the Priority Registration period starts! We can help you select a schedule to keep you on track for your intended graduation date. We can also help with selecting courses from another institution, selecting summer/winter courses, and using Web Reg.

If you're an out-of-state student planning on taking classes back home during the summer, refer to the Transfer Credit Preapproval policy and make sure to discuss this with your advisor.

In addition, if you need help understanding your SAPR (refer to next question), your advisor can help you make sense of your SAPR.

Another resource to help with academic planning is a sample 4 year plan for students majoring in Mathematics.

Return to the top
What is an Academic Advisement Report (AAR)? Where and how do I get one?

AAR stands for Academic Advisement Report. An AAR is an individualized report of a student's progress toward completing degree requirements. It is an automated degree audit that shows the student how their UA and transfer courses, as well as credit by exam, apply to their degree requirements in the following categories: General Education, major(s), minor(s), electives, and University unit requirements.

An AAR may be requested online through UAccess Student, where you may view and print it. Students are strongly encouraged to generate an AAR each time they meet with their faculty advisor (at least once each semester) to ensure satisfactory academic progress. It is an official document used as an advising tool and as a means for tracking graduation requirements. After reviewing your AAR, if you have any questions or believe that course adjustments are needed, such as the application of any transfer courses to your academic program, please consult with the Math Center for instructions.

To learn how to access your AAR, view the quick-vid. Students can also learn how to enroll in classes from their AAR, or create a "What-if?" AAR to see how adding/changing a major or minor will impact requirements.

Return to the top
What is a Senior Degree Check and how do I get one?

A Senior Degree Check is a final audit of all course work for your degree. It is processed to ensure that you have completed all University and degree requirements in order to graduate. The degree (and diploma) will not be awarded without completion of the degree check.

It is the student's responsibility to initiate this process and in a timely manner.

Deadlines: For December or January graduation - September 1 of the final fall semester. For May or August gradution - February 1 of the final spring semester. Students filing after the deadline will incur a $50 late fee in addition to the normal $50 candidacy fee for each degree.

If you plan to graduate within the next year, please take a moment to respond to the questions in the survey below, to let us know when you plan to graduate, and what your post-graduation plans are. (Letting us know your graduation plans helps the Math Center to ensure that you receive timely information for your graduation, and also helps with departmental award decisions for graduating students!) You are welcome to come back and update your responses any time your plans change.


After carefully reading the Senior Degree Check Process information sheet, please contact the Math Advising Center if you have any questions at all about what you need to do.

Return to the top
Can I take a graduate-level class?

Juniors in the Honors Program may register for 500-level courses for undergraduate Honors credit; seniors may register for graduate work if recommended by the instructor, head of the department offering the course and approved by the Dean of the Graduate College.

Seniors may choose to earn either undergraduate or graduate credit. For additional restrictions, instructions, and to download the required form, please see the Registrar's webpage. Juniors should contact the Honors College for more information.

Return to the top
Department of Mathematics, The University of Arizona 617 N. Santa Rita Ave. P.O. Box 210089 Tucson, AZ 85721-0089 USA Voice: (520) 621-6892 Fax: (520) 621-8322 Contact Us © Copyright 2017 Arizona Board of Regents All rights reserved