Statistics & Data Science Major Course Requirements
Both the Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) and the Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Statistics & Data Science require the same set of supporting and core coursework. A minor in any subject outside the math department is required with this major.
The information and requirements given here apply to the 2018–2019 catalog. Fall 2018 is the first term for which the major in SDS is available.
The Academic Advising Report (ADVIP) gives complete degree requirements:
Note: since this program is brand new for Fall 2018, the Advisement Reports may still have some issues to be worked out. All SDS majors are expected to meet with an advisor in the Math Center at least once a semester.
All SDS majors are required to complete a computer programming course, regardless of the degree selected. Choose one course:
- CSC 110— Introduction to Computer Programming I
- ISTA 130— Computational Thinking and Doing
- MATH 122A AND MATH 122B (1) or MATH 125— Calculus I
- MATH 129— Calculus II
- MATH 223— Vector Calculus
- MATH 313— Introduction to Linear Algebra (2)
- MATH 363— Introduction to Statistical Methods
- DATA 375 — Introduction to Statistical Computing (3)
- MATH 464— Theory of Probability (4)
- MATH 466— Theory of Statistics
- DATA 467 — Applied Linear Models (5)
- DATA 465 — Introduction to Data Science (6)
- One upper-division statistics major elective.
(1)MATH 122A and MATH 122B are a single-semester sequence of courses that cover Calculus I. They are equivalent to the old MATH 124 course, which is no longer offered.
(2) Either MATH 313 or MATH 310 may be used to fulfill this requirement in the SDS major. However, please note that 310 has a prerequisite of MATH 254. Students who completed MATH 215 prior to fall 2015 or who have transfer credit equivalent to MATH 215 will still fulfill this requirement, though they will not earn upper-division credit for the course.
(3) DATA 375 has been proposed to begin Spring 2019, to be offered every fall and spring semester thereafter. Course number and title are tentative.
(4) Students who have completed MATH 313 and MATH/DATA 363 AND are declared SDS majors or minors will receive assistance from the Math Center to enroll in MATH 464 for the 2018-19 and 2019-20 academic years, bypassing the MATH 323 prerequisite. Once there are enough SDS majors to support independent courses, we will open new versions with the appropriate prerequisites.
(5) DATA 467 has been proposed to begin Fall 2019, to be offered every fall semester thereafter. Course number and title are tentative.
(6) DATA 465 has been proposed to begin Spring 2020, to be offered every spring semester thereafter. Course number and title are tentative.
The SDS major requires one upper-division elective course. The current courses that will be accepted toward this requirement are listed below. More course options will be added as the program grows; see your academic advisor for details.
- MATH 367— Statistical Methods in Sports Analytics
- MATH 462— Financial Math
- MATH 468— Applied Stochastic Processes
- SIE 440— Survey of Optimization Methods