Conceptual / Procedural Knowledge
· Knowledge rich in relationships and understanding
· It is a connected web of knowledge, a network in which the linking relationships are as prominent as the discrete bits of information.
· Examples concepts – square, square root, function, area, division, linear equation, derivative, polyhedron
· By definition, conceptual knowledge cannot be learned by rote. It must be learned by thoughtful, reflective learning.
· Is it possible to have conceptual knowledge/understanding about something without procedural knowledge?
· Knowledge of formal language or symbolic representations
· Knowledge of rules, algorithms, and procedures
· Can procedures be learned by rote?
· Is it possible to have procedural knowledge about conceptual knowledge?