Mathematics Instruction Colloquium
The UA Mathematics Instruction Colloquium is a forum for presentations and discussions of topics related to the teaching of mathematics at all levels, from elementary/secondary to the UA's entry-level sequence and beyond. The colloquium is an open forum; the public is invited to attend. Presenters and participants have included faculty and students from the UA's mathematics, applied mathematics, and mathematics education programs, teachers and administrators from the Tucson Unified School District, as well as mathematicians and mathematics educators from outside the Tucson area.
In the 2009-2010 academic year, the colloquium is being organized by Ji Li and Carrie Wright.
Location and Time
The colloquium is held on Tuesdays from 4:15 - 5:15 p.m, in Mathematics 501.
To all speakers
Please send your title and abstract to Carrie Wright. Please do not post your abstract at the department weekly news page. Thank you for your cooperation.
Schedule of Colloquia - Spring 2010
You may click the title of any talk below to view its full abstract.
- Tuesday, January 19, 2010
- Organizational Meeting: All are invited.
- Tuesday, January 26, 2010
- Nothing scheduled.
- Tuesday, February 2, 2010
- Sarah Hoffman, Kerima Ratnayaka, Chris Mikel, Department of Mathematics, The University of Arizona
Expand Your Teaching Repertoire
- Tuesday, February 9, 2010
- Barbara A. Shipman, Department of Mathematics, The University of Texas at Arlington
Debating and Creating the Concepts and Definitions of Real Analysis
- Tuesday, February 16, 2010
- Mathew Felton, Department of Curriculum and Instruction, University of Wisconsin at Madison
The What, How, and Who of Mathematics: Prospective Teachers' Views of Math as a Social and Political Activity
- Tuesday, February 23, 2010
- Sue Adams & Ann Modica, Department of Mathematics, The University of Arizona
The Center for Recruitment & Retention of Mathematics Teachers --- What we do, who we serve, and how we are funded
- Tuesday, March 2, 2010
- Dan Madden, Department of Mathematics, The University of Arizona
Compasses, Straightedges, String and Tacks
- Tuesday, March 9, 2010
- Carrie Wright & Ji Li, Department of Mathematics, The University of Arizona
- Tuesday, March 23, 2010
- Bill McCallum, Department of Mathematics, The university of Arizona
Introduction of the new Core Math Standards
- Tuesday, March 30, 2010
- Götz Krummheuer, Goethe University
Mathematical Creativity and Attachment Theory. An interdisciplinary approach for studying the development of mathematical creativity of preschool children with a precarious childhood.
- Tuesday, April 6, 2010
- Tuesday, April 13, 2010
- Ann Modica, University of Arizona
Discussion of possible 4th Year High School Math Courses.
- Tuesday, April 20, 2010
- Judah Rosenblatt
A Look at the Geometric Side of Linear Algebra.
- Tuesday, April 27, 2010
- Dee Turner, CCS Presentations
- Smart Board Training, Math East 141
- Tuesday, May 4, 2010
Last updated: February 16, 2010
comments or suggestions to: Ji Li or Carrie Wright