You apply to be an undergraduate teaching assistant for a particular
semester. Due to the nature of the VIGRE grant, you must be a US
Citizen or Permanent Resident to participate in the UTA Program.
(If you are neither a US Citizen nor a Permanent Resident, there may
be another scholarship, fellowship, teaching assistantship, or
research assistantship opportunities available to you. Please consult
the Math Center for
current opportunities.) You must also be a math major at the University
to be accepted into the UTA program.
Applying for Fall 2009
Prior to the deadline (May 1), you must do all of the
- If you have found a sponsor, write a proposal of
planned activities that you would do with your sponsor. If you need help
locating a sponsor or coming up
with suitable activities, please contact the
UTA Program coordinator for assistance.
- Ask the faculty sponsor to write a letter of support. Note that
this is not the same as your letter of recommendation
- If you have not found a sponsor, we will match you with one at the
beginning of the semester.
- Ask one of your math teachers to write a letter of recommendation on your behalf.
- Download and complete the application
- Deliver all materials to one of the UTA coordinators. Turn in
your application to Carrie Wright or Phil Grizzard via their mailboxes in
- Sign up for the mathematics skills test,
take the test, and pass the test.
Selection is competitive. Your application form should be
submitted to the UTA Program coordinators by May 1, 2009.