Math Placement Assessment- ALEKS PPL
Math Placement Testing is available through August 31, 2018. Testing will resume in late September.
Math Placement is standard practice for colleges and universities, and is an important part of student success at UA. The purpose of our placement process is to determine, based on your mathematical background and current mathematical ability, which MATH courses are appropriate for you. Past experience shows that the Math Placement Test may be the clearest indicator. For this reason, we encourage all students to take the ALEKS UA Online Placement Assessment; however, if you are an incoming transfer student you may be able to use a transfer Math course for placement. Incoming freshman students can qualify for courses through sufficient SAT I MSS or ACT MATH scores. These scores must be recent.
Incoming students should refer to the information in the Math Placement section of Next Steps Center, and access the test through Next Steps Center.
About the ALEKS PPL Math Placement Assessment
ALEKS PPL is a proctored math placement assessment that places students into all courses at or below the level of Calculus I (Math 122A/B,125).
Brief information about the test:
- It is a 30 question, 60-90 minute assessment, but students have up to 3 hours to complete it. You cannot save and come back to the test, you must complete it in one sitting.
- You can use an approved calculator, blank scratch paper and a writing utensil. No other materials, persons, websites, etc. are allowed. TI-83 or 84 calculator is recommended. If you use a different calculator, make sure it is approved.
- You can review before taking the assessment.
- After completing your first assessment, you can access a learning module but only within 12 months of your first attempt at the assessment.
- How do I access the Math Placement Assessment? Assessments are proctored through primarily through Examity, an online proctoring service, but we will also administer the assessment in-person in the Math Building room 101 by appointment.
- You can test up to five times, but there is a 24 hour waiting period between tests. If you schedule a retest prior to the 24 hour waiting period, you will be blocked from testing.
- The problems must be done in order. Once you have answered a question, you cannot go back and change it.
- There is a fee for taking or retaking the assessment.
- Assessment scores are good for one year for entry into MATH courses.
- Students are expected to adhere to the UA Code of Conduct while taking the assessment. Take the assessment as if you are taking an in-person proctored test. Use of any prohibited materials (phone, websites, un-approved calculator, persons, textbooks, notes, etc.) will be reported to the Dean of Students, as will any suspicious behavior while taking the assessment. This will result in an invalidated test score.
- Do not take the assessment until you have read all of the information about the ALEKS PPL Math Placement Assessment.
- Once you complete the assessment (or run out of time on the 3 hour time limit), your score is final.
Additional information about the UA ALEKS Online Math Placement Assessment and procedures is available through the ALEKS PPL FAQs .
After completing the assessment, students can check their scores through Next Steps Center (incoming students) or on your Transfer Credit Report in Uaccess Student within 24 hours of testing. Check the Math Placement Chart to determine which course(s) you are eligible for.